About the Recipe
Spicing up Meatless Mondays this Month with some awesome recipes using freshly delivered delicious fresh produce.
This is my Aromatic, Vegan Spinach, Sweet Potato & Lentil Dahl!
This is the perfect hassle free hearty dinner party dish that will be sure to have your family and friends asking for more. It is also a great dish for those cold wintery nights especially with a drizzle of My Basil Chilli Oil over the top.
Subs or Add ins – Over Sweet Potato? you can switch it out for Butternut Squash, cauliflower or even Aubergines!
Now times to get cooking!
You will need a wide pan with a fitting lid.
· 1 Cup of Jasmine Rice
· 2 1/2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
· 2 Red Onions (Diced)
· 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
· 2 Thumb sized Ginger pieces (grated)
· 1 1/2 Red Chilli (sliced with seeds)
· 3 Tablespoons ground Cumin
· 3 Tablespoons ground Turmeric
· 700g Sweet Potato (diced)
· 500g Red lentils
· 1.2 litre Vegetable Stock
· 140g of chopped Spinach (or Baby Spinach)
· Salt (to season)
· Topping - 4 Spring Onions (Sliced)
· handful of Basil (Torn/ Sliced)
· Place pot/pan on a medium heat. Add in Sesame Oil and allow to heat.
· Once the sesame oil has heated up, place in diced Red Onion to sauté until soft.
· While Spices are infusing - spread the lentils on a try and pick out any stones or sand granules.
· Then rinse the Lentils in a bowl and strain off water 5 times to prevent the lentils from being gritty.
· Then add in Garlic, Cumin, Turmeric, Chilli and Ginger and sauté for another minute to infuse spices.
· Add 30ml of the Vegetable stock to deglaze the pan and add in Sweet Potatoes, stirring around until coated in spices.
· Add in Rinsed Red Lentils, the rest of the Vegetable stock, Salt and Pepper to season. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 20minutes, but stirring every so often to ensure nothing sticks the bottom.
Once lentils are tender and potatoes are just holding their shape, add in the Spinach and adjust seasoning as need be.
Once Spinach is wilted, remove from heat and top with basil and sliced Spring Onions. (If you would like an extra kick you can top with thinly sliced red chilli's)
Serve with Jasmine Rice